Thursday, 13 July 2017

CINDER (The Lunar Chronicles #1) - by Marissa Meyer

CINDER - Marissa Meyer
Published: 2012 - by Feiwel and Friends.
Pages: 387.
Genres: Young adult / fairy tale retelling / dystopia / romance / fantasy
Source: Bought.
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


First off, let us congratulate me on finally starting The Lunar Chronicles!! EEEEEK!!! It has been too long. I thought I'd never get to them. Cruel world.
That said, I wasn't expecting to love Cinder. I've heard that the rest of the series (primarily Scarlet) is much better. Not to mention Cinderella has never been my favourite fairy tale, and the idea of a futuristic society and a cyborg heroine didn't initially interest me.
But oh my heart. This book is a treasure that needs to be loved wholeheartedly.

“Believe me, Cinder. You are a sacrifice I will never regret.”


It is NOT boring. I've heard reviewers say it is, but WUUUTT? It is seriously not boring! It's entertaining, magical, imaginative, exciting, heartbreaking, spellbinding, and utterly absorbing. I flew through it in about two days, and not for one second did I want to yawn. There's tragedy, beauty, heartache, and humour. It's a beautifully written book with pitch-perfect structure, and the plot is excellent. I've read so many writing articles on how to structure a book and what plot points to include, and GOSH does Meyer nail it. It's tight, effortless, and bubbles with skill. Some plot points are predictable, but who cares when the story's this good?
The dialogue's also ravishing, witty and compelling.

I loved the twists on the Cinderella story. Meyer concocts such a beautiful, vivid tale, and all the original fairy tale magic is still there. I love fairy tale retellings that manage to capture the original spark, and Meyer aces that.

The world-building is brilliant. So clever, so natural, and so well thought-out. It's easy to get lost in Cinder's world, and I was sucked into the politics, the relationships, and the society like I was actually living there myself. The world Meyer's created is superb.
In addition, disability gets excellent representation. It's accurate, thoughtful, and seriously overwhelming seeing it from poor Cinder's point of view. (It's written in third person, but is just as vivid as first person would've been).

“We have the ability to love each other, no matter our differences. To help each other, no matter our weaknesses.”

“They were beautiful. The most beautiful things she’d ever owned. But if there was one thing she knew from years as a mechanic, it was that some stains never came out.”


The characters are wonderful. They're all so vivid and realistic, even if most of them are archetypes. I loved Cinder's feistiness and her originality, and I just loved how active she is. She moves the story forward, it's her choices that take the plot to the next point, and it's she who decides to take action after action. I particularly loved how she decides to repair a car so she can escape from her wicked stepmother. That's just perfect! She's so proactive, and I adored that.
The humanness of the characters is fantastic. I could relate to Cinder (to an extent), and I loved how down-to-earth she and Kai were. Status peeled away, they're just like average teenagers, and AH IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL.
I also loved Cinder's relationships with Peony and Iko. Iko is a darling whom I need as my friend, and I loved Cinder's strong relationships with these two females. Actual #squadgoals I'm telling you; their scenes are so powerful and magical.  I love strong friendships between girls, and wow were these relationships making me want to dance and cheer and hug someone.
The only thing about the characters I found disappointing was that they're flat. I'm sure this is just a "first book" thing, but Cinder and Kai didn't really change throughout the story.

The romance is cuteness overload. I loved Kai's character, and he and Cinder are actual honey and cookies together. (I have no idea what that means but anyway). They're awkward, beautiful, realistic and sweet, and their dialogue is gold.
Me ship it.



I can't decide whether to give this book 4 flowers or 4.5. For now, I'll stick with 4.5.

Cinder is an enchanting tale sprinkled with the original magic of the fairy tale that inspired it, and woven together into a perfect plot with vivid, realistic characters, and stellar storytelling.  It's a deliciously fun and heartwarming adventure.

Now! Onto Scarlet!


28 comments:

  1. Great review, Amy! I loved Cinder, too, and the rest of the series is just as good! I was really impressed by the world-building, too, and it's such a fun twist on the classic story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! I'm so glad to hear that, I can't wait to start it :)

      Delete
  2. Love this series (:
    Glad you love it, too!
    Great review ^^
    I hope you'll love Scarlet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad!
      Thanks Zoey :)

      Delete
  3. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed this book!! It's been a favorite of mine since I read it back when it was released, but I still haven't read the rest of the series (I'm the worst at keeping up with series!). I agree the characters are wonderful. I remember them being all so well developed and likable, especially Cinder. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren, me too!
      Lol, I'm actually the same - especially when they're more than 4 books in the series ;)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. OH MY WORD MY LIFE. The Lunar Chronicles is literally my obsession. I love it sosososo much. Altho I must admit, Kaider is my least favorite ship idk why. and don't worry, because it's a series, the character development for Cinder is slower paced, but it's amazing.... I'LL SHUT UP NOW. EEEEEEP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY THAT MAKES ME HAPPY.
      THANK YOU FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL COMMENT, NOW I AM DESPERATE TO READ THE REST OF THE SERIES!!

      Delete
  5. I'M SO FREAKING HAPPY YOU LOVED THIS BOOK. LET'S FLAIL. *flails manically* I read Cinder when I was 13 and it dragged me out of THEEEE worst reading slump! I can't actually remember much of what happened but I loved it so much. I finally have the whole series so I'll be binge reading it soon ;D LOVELY REVIEW, AMY! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEEP ME TOOOO! *flails with you*
      THANK YOU DARLING <3

      Delete
  6. You started The Lunar Chronicles! Yay! (Winter is my favorite. Jacin and Winter are so cute)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay indeed! Eeeek thanks for wetting my appetite, lol :)

      Delete
  7. Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed! Iko is by far my favorite character in the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks me too! She's so adorable :)

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, you finally stepped foot into The Lunar Chronicles! I'm so happy for you, and I can't wait for you to read Scarlet (like many people said, it is pretty superior). xD

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long overdue, I know!! Aww thank you Abby <3 I can't wait!

      Delete
  9. I am soo glad you loved Cinder!! As for the #squadgoals, it only gets better from here! And I think Cinder and Kai really develop throughout the series, as do all the characters. If you think Cinder is pretty kick ass now, just you wait. XD I absolutely adore Cinder and Kai's relationship, and there's only one in the whole series that I ship a tiny bit more. I hope you love the rest of the series! My favorite is Cress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Genni! Ahhhh that sounds so amazing, I can't wait to read more!!
      Cress does sound awesome!
      Thanks for the lovely comment, Genni <3

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I've only read up to Scarlet so far (which was also awesome). I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I have *got* to get to this one soon! I've had it on my shelf for ages but I guess it's time I actually picked it up. Excellent review, Amy!
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha hope you get to it soon! Would love to know your thoughts :)
      Thank you Tanya!

      Delete
  12. I got this for christmas, but I haven't gotten round to it yet. So glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's late to the party.
    Great review - really looking forward to it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Hope you get to it soon :) Haha *high five*
      Thank you!

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad you liked Cinder! I know it had some not too good character development but I can tell you book 2 gets better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Yay that's so good to hear!

      Delete
  14. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SERIES. LIKE WHAT. It only is gonna get better girl ! I can't believe you have waited this long to read it and I am so happy for you because you get to enjoy it all the way through for the first time. Happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY!! I'm so glad to hear that, I can't wait!
      Thanks!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)