Friday, 14 July 2017

THE 100 (The 100 #1) - by Kass Morgan

THE 100 - Kass Morgan
Published: 2014 - Little, Brown Books for Young Readers.
Pages: 326.
Genres: Young adult / science fiction / romance / adventure
Source: Library.
No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now. Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide mission. CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves -- but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth. Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.


I think The 100 TV series is awesome, even though I've only watched snippets of it on YouTube.  (And Bellamy is hot and adorable and I love him).
So I got the book from the library and I expected to love it too.
But I was so disappointed. And I recommend you watch the TV series and just stop there, because the book really isn't worth it.


The idea is very strong and has amazing potential. It promises action, adventure, horror, and romance - but the book never delivers. The story's a mix of present-day (the teens on Earth) and flashbacks which reveal their back stories, etc. But the flashbacks are boring, and there's little action elsewhere; believable action at least.
It's a fun, cheap read, but badly written and extremely rushed.

There's zero world-building. It's poorly thought-out (basically not thought-out at all) and loopholes abound. The world has incredible potential, but the details are vague, muddled, and random, and I still have no idea of the history and back story regarding why the kids are sent to Earth in the first place and why a number of other apparently important incidents happen as well.

The plot is laughable. The incidents supposed to move the story forward are ridiculously contrived, and most of the characters lack plausible motivations. To give you an example of the terrible story structure: the romantically involved characters are constantly having little spats over petty things just so there's some "drama" and movement in the story. It's not believable, and I kept rolling my eyes at the absurdity of it. The author seems so desperate to hold the story together that she throws in silly, petty incidents to get her characters fighting and the story progressing. But that's the problem: when the story does move, I struggle to invest in it because I can't suspend disbelief for what has happened in the previous scenes.

“That was the thing about secrets-you had to carry them with you forever, no matter what the cost.”

The characters have wonderful potential, but are squandered by unbelievable development, goody-goody motivations, and weak relationships. They've all got firm back stories, but they're poorly executed. Every one of the main characters who's been sent to Earth for a crime has a tragic back story where they're actually the hero. No one committed a crime because they're actually bad; they were all doing it for someone else or because they were tricked, so say goodbye to anti-heroes and real redemption. In other words, those teens who're sent to Earth for a crime are actually just victims. And here I was hoping for real bad guys who'd learn from their mistakes and turn around. But nope, they're all good already - just victimized by their authorities.

But on the positive side, some of the main characters (Clarke, Bellamy, Glass, and Octavia) are interesting and vivid. Clarke and Bellamy are definitely the strongest, and their characters have the potential for great things.
On another note, the romance is lame. And it's infuriatingly hot and cold.



The 100 has amazing potential, but the plot is infuriatingly contrived, the characters victimized, and the writing cheesy and rushed.


14 comments:

  1. Ahh sorry you didn't enjoy this, Amy! I've heard the books aren't that great compared to the TV series :/ I have got the first book to review so I'll see if I like it or not. >.< Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyra!
      Oh wow yeah, I'd love to know what you think when you read it then.
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah this book wasn't good to me either. The TV show is fantastic though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that! But yay, I'm glad the show's awesome!

      Delete
  3. I am a huge fan of the show so when I saw this I had to check it out! And... I'm not really surprised ha ha because I heard it was... not great (the books I mean). I am definitely sticking w/ the show but it's too bad the book wasn't better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha great!
      Yeah:( And it really is! *sigh*

      Delete
  4. I've heard similar things from other people who have read the book so I'm not planning on reading it :/ Buuuut I'll probably watch the show at some point since I want to see what the hype is about.
    Characters with no depth and garbage world-building *faints* Those are the reasons why I read books in the first place xD
    Fabulous review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is a pity :(
      I know right??!!
      Thank you <3

      Delete
  5. Oh yeah, the books aren't that good. But all the potential you see in the series is really expanded upon in the tv series. It doesn't happen often, but the adaption of the book is a lot better than the series. But to be honest, the plot of the tv show is pretty different than the books besides the characters (but Luke and Glass don't exist and are replaced by characters Finn and Raven). I finished the whole series just to see how is shapes up, and let me tell you, the show is by far better. If you haven't watched the series, I highly recommend it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that does sound different!! But also really good! I must try watch more then :)
      Thank you, I'll definitely try get hold of it!

      Delete
  6. Nooo!! I loved the tv show as well, so I'm kind of glad I never picked up the books. I think this is the first time a tv show is better than the books.. how interesting.
    Great post Amy :)
    Aneta @ Angelic Book Reviews 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW :( :(
      Yeha true! That's definitely a first, lol.
      Thanks Aneta :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen the show before, but I have read this book and I agree with you completely. I personally, thought it was rubbish. Too many characters, the plot doesn't go anywhere and I was bored out of my mind >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five* So true. It's such a pity :(

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)